Occupational Therapy Toys
Playing with toys is a fabulous way to achieve most goals of Occupational Therapy. Here at Rhinoceros Toy Store, we are very lucky to have Lisa Baum, local Pediatric Occupational Therapist, to guide and instruct us on which toys can help.
Play is the work of children. Through play children learn about the world around them.
Children’s main occupation is play and it is vital that they choose toys that will enhance their development in all sensorimotor areas. These include: the sense of touch, movement and
gravity, body position and motor skills. As a pediatric occupational therapist for 30 years, I have observed how important it is for children to play with toys that promote mature development of fine motor, gross motor and visual-motor skills that are the foundation for academic skills.
Here are a few of Lisa’s Picks:
(For a full list, come into the store and check out Lisa’s Corner.)
- Zig-Zag Knot (brain teaser by ThinkFun): Constructional Praxis & Motor Planning
- Bingory (bingo/memory game by BlueOrange): Visual Discrimination & Visual Tracking
- Sort N’ Snap (by Melissa & Doug): Visual Motor Skills & Manual Dexterity and Strength
- Zoobs (by InfiniToy): Major Constructional Development & Bi-lateral Motor Coordination
- Hula Hoop (by Zuzu): Development of trunk core strength & Motor control
- Perplexus (by PlaSmart Inc.): Visual Motor Planning & Bi-lateral Hand Coordination
See more OT Toys